Friday, October 2, 2015

Simeon in the Rain

My old district (before transfers) from left Sisters Lund and Olsen,
me, Elders Hope, Haun, Miller and Baker
This week the rains seem to be on our side which is a good thing, I guess, for my companions and for me because I love the rain.  If you never get soaked more than once while serving a mission you are missing out big time, trust me! This week we went through our list of individuals we are teaching and truly put the question of how should we use our time wisely? It  was tough because I just can't bare seeing a child of our Heavenly Father not being given a little more time before they are ready to receive his Restored Gospel, but we need to do what we need to do.  We got the ball rolling this week by welcoming all the new missionaries into the Zone.  It was fun to talk with them and have each of them share miracles they have seen or been a part of while sharing and using the Book of Mormon. The response was awesome for I felt the Holy Spirit so much as they shared their stories. I added my testimony to theirs and was comforted even more to know the Book of Mormon is true. Strange, when you think about it.  Heavenly Father still let's us know the Book of Mormon is true even when we do already! I guess it is His simple way of telling us, “I am always here.”

Me and my comps at Coke World
So, funny story! The reason for the topic of this letter, we went to see a young man we are teaching who is from Burma (yes it is a real country).  We had been leaving reading assignments with him and every time we ask, “did you read?” he would always say yes. After not being able to see him for a week we went over with a member and I asked, “so, Tew (I changed his name for privacy reasons) did you get to read the chapter we left you?”  He looked off in the distance and said, “yeah, I did” and since I know looking off actually means “no” (since I used to do exactly that) I then proceeded to say, “so did you like the part where Nephi beats up the giant?” to which he said he did. I know it was a bad trick to play but I have been out a while so one has to find ways to decide if they are telling the truth. I looked at my companions and the member and I could see my companions wanted to start laughing, so I quickly set up another time we could come by and see him. No sooner than he had closed his door, I asked the member and my companions if they liked that part also?  We all busted out laughing. I just could not help myself, and neither could they.  

Oh, how I wish everyone we meet could be honest with us and just let us know because all we truly care about is helping them come and partake of the fruit of the tree of life, as it says in 1 Nephi 8:30.
 
 30 But, to be short in writing, behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree.

All we are here to do is get there and help others to do the same also. I know it is why we are called to serve - name tag or no name tag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment