Monday, October 26, 2015

Selwin and Acts:8 ... Again!

Me and my new companion, Elder Stokes
This week has flown by again without any warning and people are already talking about Christmas.  Just a reminder for you all, it's still October.

Let me start by telling you I have a new companion.  His name is Elder Stokes and he's from … wait for it … New Jersey. Two companions from the east coast. I'm on a roll people.  He's a pretty chill guy though and he's a football player, too, so all is well. The week has been good and one where we did a lot of walking and where we got to meet a few nice people.

So here's the story of the week.  Remember the guy who didn't know what Acts:8 was about? Turns out he's a pastor and one of our investigators was actually going to be visiting his church soon. Before she did, however, we had a really good conversation about the Godhead.  It was more so about the Holy Ghost so we read and discussed Acts:8 with her.  At the end of she said, "I've never read this or even heard about this before.” There is only so much we can do and the most we can do is to guide our Heavenly Father’s children to the truth but in the end the choice is theirs.  We’ll have to wait and see what happens next.

Creepy Halloween dolls
During my studies this week I was really humbled by Alma the younger's gratitude as he expressed his thanks to God for all He had done for him, for being commanded by him to do His work and for blessing him. Alma 29:9-13 reads:

9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

11 Yea, and I also remember the captivity of my fathers; for I surely do know that the Lord did deliver them out of bondage, and by this did establish his church; yea, the Lord God, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, did deliver them out of bondage.

On someone's front door
12 Yea, I have always remembered the captivity of my fathers; and that same God who delivered them out of the hands of the Egyptians did deliver them out of bondage.

13 Yea, and that same God did establish his church among them; yea, and that same God hath called me by a holy calling, to preach the word unto this people, and hath given me much success, in the which my joy is full."

This made me think of what more I needed to do, so I can say, as well, 'my joy is full.’ The Lord builds us all differently but He knows why and I know He lets us have good days and bad days so our minds may be more focused on Him, always reminding us He will never leave our side and this that one day we all might say 'our joy is full.’ How grateful I am for the love He has for me and for all He teaches me each and every single day. What a blessing it is to know He's got my back no matter what.  What a blessing, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment