Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Selwin Holds Strong

My new district ... except the elders in the green and red ties!
Okay, so this week just shot by and I didn't even notice it.  That's funny cause I notice everything. So my companion sprained his ankle before he got transferred so it's been hard going out to do a lot of work because he has been wearing one of those protective casing so as to not make it any worse.

So it's been a bit of a struggle but something I've come to realize this week and from reading Sim's story is that finding is important but also getting those members who aren't coming to church is just as important. I have truly seen how much these members enjoy seeing missionaries but every time I leave their homes I always get this amazing feeling. Even as members we are still trying each and everyday to build and grow our testimonies about this gospel. I was so surprised when a less active told us how badly she wanted to read the Book of Mormon but would never do it.  I made a commitment to her that we would read it together and, my, oh my, has that been a joy.

To hear the testimonies they have, you just wonder why they haven't been coming to church, but what's even more amazing is the willingness they have to change their lives for the better.  As members of the church we are faced with so much ridicule, pain and afflictions, yet we stand strong and hold firm to what we believe in. in Alma chapter 34:38-41 but especially 41 it reads:

38   That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.

39   Yea, and I also exhort you, my brethren, that ye be watchful unto prayer continually, that ye may not be led away by the temptations of the devil, that he may not overpower you, that ye may not become his subjects at the last day; for behold, he rewardeth you no good thing.

40   And now my beloved brethren, I would exhort you to have patience, and that ye bear with all manner of afflictions; that ye do not revile agains those who do cast you out because of your exceeding poverty, lest ye become sinners like unto them;

41   But that ye have patience, and bear with those afflictions, with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions.

I know if ye have willingness and if ye have desire ye will overcome whatever obstacle you are facing in your life at this time.  I'm not one who is great at words or speaking but one thing I am is forever grateful for my Father in Heaven and for His loving arm extended towards me. I know if you call on Him, He will do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment