Monday, February 1, 2016

Simeon and the Preacher

This week we had an interesting little lesson with a preacher.  His daughter was in Utah and brought back a Book of Mormon, which he started to read.  Eventually he requested his own copy, so off we went to give it to him, only to have him tell us, “it is so simple to understand I taught a sermon with the words from this book.  There were more amen's and hallelujahs when I preached that sermon from the Book of Mormon than when I or any of the bishops of the church preached from the Bible."  He went on to say how he had to ask God for forgiveness for teaching false doctrine and promised God he would only teach the truth! He said the brethren in his church ordained him to be an Apostle but he asked them, "How can you ordain me an Apostle when I have been teaching the wrong things to these people?" It just goes to show, once again, the Book of Mormon is true and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's true church upon the earth! 

It is wonderful to see how God opens the eyes of those he is preparing for us and helps them know His truth.  Who knows what will come of this simple act and, in fact, the preacher went on to say everyone in his congregation asked him where he got his information, so he gave them all the Church website!  It looks like he is a missionary in the making.

And during this week of studies I came across a lovely quote from President Thomas S Monson who said,
“We have all experienced times when our focus is on what we lack rather than on our blessings. Said the Greek philosopher Epictetus, ‘He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.’


Regardless of our circumstances, each of us has much for which to be grateful if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings.”


And that made me think ... am I grateful for all the blessings I receive and am I wise to rejoice in what I have rather than envy what others have? I know the Lord blesses all of his children and I echo Elder Holland who said simply enough, the "Race Should Be Against Sin, Not Each Other"

No comments:

Post a Comment