Monday, January 25, 2016

Selwin and World Religion Day

Exchanges with the AP's Elder Hainsworth, Elder Hendrickson,
Elder Mughal, Elder Hunter and me.


This week we saw it all happen, from riding in the freezing cold and getting a flat tire to driving through a light snow storm and doing exchanges with the AP's and being in a trio for a few days, but it was awesome.

We didn't really get to work a lot in our own area but it was super awesome working with my fellow brethren as we strive to push forward with the Lord's work. We ended up having to switch our plans to accommodate Elder Hunter who is serving in Winnfield, LA.  His companion had to fly home for his younger brother's funeral who died of leukemia.  But it was great to see that he wasn't worried because of the plan which he knew our Heavenly Father created for us. 

We headed up to Ridgeland, Mississippi for exchanges with the assistants. While tracting we met a really cool atheist and got some good advice on what to study when we go to school. We then had the great privilege of representing the church at the 17th Annual World Religion Day in Shreveport.  That was fun because we got to meet a wide variety of individuals from different religious organizations from around the area. My favorite was a Hindu gentleman who, after I told him where I was from and what sport I played, told me that there are a few individuals who play cricket here at the LSUS University campus in Shreveport.
My joy shot through the roof! That would be super awesome to do on one of our preparation days.

The trio
But the greatest joy came from my study of John 21:15-17 which reads:

 15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."

Of these scriptures Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles commented: "Jesus said, ‘Feed my sheep.’ You can’t feed them if you don’t know where they are. You can’t feed them if you give them reason to resist you. You can’t feed them if you don’t have the food. You can’t feed them if you don’t have charity. You can’t feed them if you aren’t willing to work and share. …

Me and my Hindu brother
“Those who need help come in all age brackets. Some of His sheep are young, lonely, and lost. Some are weary, afflicted, and worn with age. Some are in our own family, in our own neighborhood, or in the far corners of the world where we can help with fast offerings. Some are starving for food. Some are starving for love and concern.

“If we give His sheep reasons to resist us, the feeding process becomes difficult, if not impossible. No one can teach or help with sarcasm or ridicule. Dictatorship or ‘I’m right and you are wrong’ will negate all efforts to feed a wandering sheep. A wall of resistance will be built, and no one will benefit. …

“By our actions we show our love. Expressions of affection are empty if actions don’t match. All His sheep need the touch of a shepherd who cares".

What a great responsibility we have to aid in helping the Savior by feeding His sheep.  Let us be ready and worthy at all times to do just that and to continue to express our love for all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment