Monday, June 1, 2015

Selwin's First Talk

On our way to another day of service
This week has been one filled with service, literally. We have been helping people move most of this week.  It seems summer is the time when everyone moves out and as missionaries we are always looking for those opportunities. You know we have to find someway to get our exercise in, got to get these muscles big somehow.

This week I gave my first talk as a missionary!  Yeah, I know what you're thinking "really? your first one?"  After being in two other wards and not having to give one I was pretty sure it would be the same here but they got me. I didn't mind because the ward here is awesome. So after getting my topic more than two (2) weeks ago I was prompted to speak on something else and that something else was about the importance of the Book of Mormon to us as individuals and as families. I shared the story about my brother and how he had stopped reading the Book of Mormon for a while only to realize later he was only one page away from actually finishing the book in it's entirety.

Another porch find!
One of the first things I did as a missionary was have an interview with my mission president.  During that interview he inquired of me about my reading the Book of Mormon and when I got to my very first area I should start it over from the beginning. All I remember thinking was, “is this guy crazy? Do you know how long it took me to get to the book of Alma?" Anyway I didn't do it but I did take his advice about writing down the things that stuck out to me as I read from the Book of Mormon. 

During my first transfer out here I decided to listen to a few talks by President Ezra Taft Benson and if you have ever heard this servant of the Lord speak you will know the Book Of Mormon will always be mentioned. But this is what he said that made me see the Book of Mormon from a whole new perspective:

“… The Book of Mormon has not been, nor is it yet, the center of our personal study, family teaching, preaching, and missionary work. Of this we must repent.”

And so I did just that and my studies got a lot more serious.  What stuck out to me the most is every single page of the Book of Mormon teaches us a principle of the gospel. Principles which can be and should be applied in our everyday life. We have been given a gift in our day and it should be treasured because it testifies to us all of the love God has for us and that He lives. Regardless of your circumstance I urge you to read, ponder the words of the Book of Mormon and pray about what you have read. I promise you the Lord will open your minds and hearts to the understanding of His words and if you already are doing this, keep doing it. I know the Lord lives and He has blessed us with His words in our day so our lives and the lives of those around us can be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment