Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Simeon Stays Put

Okay, so this week was really amazing and wonderful in ways I could not imagine! We kicked off the week getting ready for transfers on Wednesday and after I got my new companion we were off to see a few persons we are teaching, including a really nice family of six (6). 

Now this is a very special and unique family. One of the children is deaf and the mom speaks mostly Spanish while everyone else speaks English.  So how do you go about teaching all of them at once?   You learn Spanish, that's what you do but it is not easy … trust me. I have had to work hard at this one but this is how it goes. We teach the mom something in Spanish as I struggle to read through it all.  Then I text to her son who is deaf and he gives me a ‘thumbs up’ if he understands it. I should mention this family has 2 boys and 3 girls with the mom included and they all came to church Sunday and loved it!. Yes, that sure made up for us having to ride the 3+ miles to church and yes, it was well worth it.  This family is also a "Dare Family" because they always dare us to try something and to be honest they are very persistent.  They will make great missionaries. I just know it.  We fell for this “dare” game where you had to eat some weird jelly beans. I always spun a good spin but my new companion got us into trouble so I got all the bad jelly beans.  Now jelly beans are off the menu for me!.

Me in the mirror ready to bike to Church
This week I also learned showing love and trust is way better than forcing anyone to do anything.  That’s the way it is supposed to be.  I think of it this way: if I were the person standing with my door open to the missionaries what would I prefer? It dawned on me love and trust is the only way to go.  You can be bold as well and then they all work completely in sync.

This week while studying the scriptures I came across something which went hand-in-hand with what I learned this past week.  It is Mosiah 4:27&30:

27 And see all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite a man should run faster‍ than he has strength. And again, it is expedient he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.

30 But this much I can tell you, if ye do not watch‍ yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue‍ in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.

We must be diligent in sharing the gospel in the simple ways we can and never forget we, too, must continue in faith so we will not perish.

PS:  Sister Sappington reminds us every week to always be willing to submit to the Lord.  Hahaha I win! I already have and will continue to willingly submit to the Lord because it is the only way to go!

And, hey, I am still in the Brockett Ward for at least this transfer so I am happy because I really wanted to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment