Monday, February 23, 2015

Simeon Still Shivering in the Cold

Still shivering in 2 coats and 2 pairs of gloves!
I am staying one more transfer in the Brockett Ward and I am super excited to be here!

This week was an interesting one and the weather did not help one tiny bit.  We had a tough enough time finding those wonderful persons who are ready to receive this Gospel and though we did not find many, I am still super happy to have been led by the Lord to find a few.  On Wednesday I thought I could take the weather on as real missionaries do but my triumphant victory was only short lived as I, despite having on two coats and two gloves, felt the cold shiver me timbers. I have to assume, as my brother normally does, that someone is playing with the thermometer. 

But, hey, we had a good week none-the-less and with the help of the members we were able to see nine (9) persons show up to Church and they all loved it. “Good times” and to see the members totally involved was even better. 

We are getting ready for some rain to come our way and this time I will enjoy it.  With all of that said and done I was really studying hard this week and my study took me across President Hinckley's book "Press Forward With Faith.”  I was totally amazed at the trials President Hinckley faced as a young man at home and on his mission and those famous words his father told him sunk deep within my soul reminding me of a deeper purpose as to why I am serving a mission.  It truly is something special.  "Forget yourself and go to work" was all that was needed then to help a young man who would become a Prophet put his entire focus on the salvation of others. I will do the same and to look at it this way, President Hinckley's mission was way harder than mine but he made it enjoyable because of his willingness to think of others and not of himself.  I know as we do the same our lives and our missions, as well, will become enjoyable, for truly when we are in the service of our fellow beings we are only in the service of our God.   By doing so we will experience peace as the prophet alma said in Alma 16:16-17:

16 And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming—

17 That they might not be hardened against the word, that they might not be unbelieving, and go on to destruction, but that they might receive the word with joy, and as a branch be grafted into the true vine, that they might enter into the rest of the Lord their God.

This is why we are here and this is our purpose.  So, as we forget ourselves and go to work we will see the blessings of the Lord In our own and in others lives, as well. I know that to be true. 


No comments:

Post a Comment