Monday, March 7, 2016

Simeon is Coming Home

Saying goodbye to the McKinleys (upper left), the Butler family, Brother Cline, the Anderson family and Brother Qian.
I can't believe I'm coming home after two years in the vineyard of the Lord as a single, full-time missionary. He needs me back to build His kingdom and, though sad, I know it must needs be, for He is preparing me for something far more grand than I can now see.  As the Savior said to his father when he was in the Garden of Gethsemane, "Thy will be done.”  So it is with me as I will do my Savior's will and carry on and, so as not to cry here in the library, I will end with a poem I came across a while back which has helped me to know the work of the Lord goes on always.

"Feed My Sheep"
Feed my sheep was the Savior’s simple command, but we have often wondered and pondered how  do we go about doing something so grand. It is too hard says one, and it’s too tough says another and sometimes I truly do wonder if the Savior were here what answer he would give to the one and what answer he would give to the other.

 It would probably go something like this….

I was born for a purpose and My purpose was fulfilled.  I came forth born of a virgin named Mary in a little town called Bethlehem. Born in a manger I neither cried nor fussed for my Heavenly Father had made me meek and mild.  As a lad I grew raised by an earthly father but my Heavenly Father I always knew. I taught in the temple and others marveled at my words for they knew not that I was the only begotten, yea, the very Son of God. As the years went by I grew into a man and went to carry out my Father’s plan.  I fasted for forty days and forty nights and allowed myself to be tempted by the adversary in all his might.

 But I withstood him with ease for I knew my Father’s plan was perfect. I was baptized by the one called John, sent to prepare the path for the coming of Me, the Savior and Lord. He was chosen before he was born and God gave him the authority to preach his holy word.  Down into the water I went to fulfill all righteousness and as I came forth out of the water I heard my Father say, “This Is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. Hear ye him.”  Then he sent the Holy Ghost to me in the form of a dove.

 I called twelve to be my Disciples by inviting them to “Come, Follow Me” and we went forth teaching and preaching the Gospel my Father hath given me. I did Miracles beyond compare.  I healed the sick, raised the dead and testified with all my might of the truthfulness of what my Father said. I was mocked and persecuted but I was neither afraid nor worried for I knew I needed to be ready for the grand finale.  So I went into the Garden of Gethsemane to pay the ultimate price for the sins and salvation of the world.

Oh, what torment I had to bear as I bled from every pore.  I asked my father,  “If thou be willing, remove this cup from me, but not my will but thy will be done”. I was comforted in my agony by an angel my father sent me, but I suffered alone in that cold Garden of Gethsemane. I was betrayed by one of mine own with a kiss and another denied me thrice that all might be fulfilled just as the prophets had hitherto foretold.

 I was driven like a lamb before the slaughter and willingly I went forth.  I was cursed, accused and spat upon by those who before had rejoiced and called me their Lord and King. I was judged by Herod and then Pilate but indeed I was found innocent even with all the false charges and accusations my persecutors gave.  They cried, “crucify him, crucify him” and I was sent forth according to the voice of the people to be slain. Water and vinegar they gave me to drink before my back was laden with forty lashes. I then took up my cross and carried it alone before being nailed to it.

Oh, how the pain truly hurt my body and soul and I cried, “Father, why hast thou forsaken me?” As I looked at my persecutors gambling for my belongings I said, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.”  I hung there in agony before finally saying, “Father, it is finished.  Into thy hands I commend my spirit”.”

I was taken from upon the cross and laid in Joseph’s tomb, but on the third day I rose again! For I am the way, the truth and the life and whomsoever follows me shall I give eternal life, for I live! And whomsoever shall lose his life for my sake the same shall save it! Now we know what the Savior would have us do, for he knows just as we do, this Restored Gospel and it’s message is true! So let us tell our brothers and sisters of the great news of everlasting life, for truly it is such.  May we ever so testify to all of  Eternal Marriage, Eternal Families, and Eternal life for this is what the gospel truly offers. I pray we may ever humbly do as our precious Savior commands and follow the Master’s plan to go find and feed his sheep!
                                                                                      
                                                                                      Elder Lovell -2015-
                                                                                      Georgia Atlanta Mission

I know the Book of Mormon is true and is Another Testament of Jesus Christ.  This is His True Church here on the earth once more to bring peace, joy and eternal life with our families.  Oh, how we shall go on in so great a cause!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment