Monday, November 9, 2015

Simeon and Swahili

Pacifique, the boy who translated for us
So, this week the rains came out to play and so did I with my rain jacket.  Yep, I was not about to be stopped this week.  No, sir, I was all for the "Onward Christian Soldiers" march - I came to battle prepared. week was transfer. I have a new companion named Elder Albertson from - you know it – Utah!  I seem to hit the trump card for Utah missionaries so I just go with the flow.  No use complaining, for all I am here to do is work and to find joy and give joy to someone else. 

We had some really good lessons with people this week as we went about doing the Lord's will.  One lesson on Saturday was very interesting and at the same time, wonderful.  We met a lady from Congo who spoke very little English.  Her official language is Swahili, so we had to find someone who spoke Swahili.  As we set out to do just that we found a recent convert who did but there was another problem.  She also spoke very little English so we had to get her son to translate to her in their tribal language and so this is how the lesson went: us speaking in English to the son, the son translating in his tribal tongue to his mom and then the mom in Swahili to the young lady we were teaching.  Then we received answers to our question the exact same way. Yes, that lesson took about two hours to complete and I will say I still felt the Holy Spirit - language barrier and all.  It gives me a testimony to know the Restored Gospel will be preached in every tongue and all will know through the Holy Spirit that it is true.  Now you would think being blessed like that was awesome right?

The District
Well, there was another problem to resolve and that was getting a Book of Mormon in her own language.  While we were at church, I felt prompted to look at all the Books of Mormon we had.  As I was looking I found the only Book of Mormon we had left in Swahili.  Yeah, this is the Lord's way of telling me "Hey, Elder Lovell, I am always here" so on that note the week was great! 

During studies I came arose 2 Nephi 22:2-6 reminding me we should always be happy.

2  Behold, God is my salvation. I will trust and not be afraid for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song.  He also has become my salvation.
3  Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
4  And, in that day shall ye say: Praise the Lord call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.
5  Sing unto the Lord, for he hath done excellent things, this is known in all the earth.
6 Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.

So be happy and smile always.

No comments:

Post a Comment